Thursday, July 15, 2010

I should have known better

I should have known better. Hell, I work in a yarn shop for Pete's sake.

I had one skein of one-of-a-kind yarn that Rachel had spun, looked for a pattern that would show it off but be substantial, then finally settled on the Loopy and Luscious scarf. For my foundation yarn, I found one skein of Rowan Kid Silk Spray (sort of like a kettle-dyed mohair) in the sale room.

I briefly glanced at the pattern but decided my version needed to be wider, then cast on 70 stitches willy-nilly.

I bet at this point you think you know what went wrong.

I did not, however, run out of the one precious skein of Rachel's yarn.

Instead, I ran out of the Kid Silk Spray.

... a discontinued yarn

... a discontinued yarn that originally retailed for $16 a ball, not counting shipping.

Sigh.

I begged on Ravelry and finally found someone who was willing to part with a bit of her stash, and even just gifted it to me (Don't worry, I sent her some thank-you yarn).

I've learned my lesson.

... until next time.

And best of all, I had enough of Rachel's precious yarn to make a gynormous tassel the size of my arm (well, my forearm at any rate).



Better photos are here.

2 comments:

Ann Konzen said...

It is, of course, fabulous.

Stephanie Ann said...

IT is lovely but your skirt is gorgeous also!