Monday, December 01, 2008

Balancing Act

Enter the Christmas crazies. Obviously I haven't been blogging, even though one of my New Year's resolutions was to blog every weekday.

Still, I knew when I agreed to teach five sections this semester and to start a part-time job, that at some point I was just going to have to grit my teeth and tough it out. And hopefully at no point would I become the snarling, spitting, bitch-on-wheels I know myself capable of being when under great strain. That phase generally precedes the phase where I turn into a sniveling, blubbering mess, and I have never been able to cry pretty.

So far, it's gone as well as can be expected.

I did throw a potato peeler through a screen door last week, but I was home alone at the time at least. That morning, I had left six potatoes, a peeler, and a nice note asking that they be peeled and put in the crock pot. This after a conversation the night before ascertaining whether such a request would be a reasonable sharing of the workload. The hurling of the peeler occurred when I returned in the evening and after a phone call during which I was informed that, because a certain person had never heard of such a thing, it was therefore not at all true that one needed to peel potatoes if they show any tinge of green.

Peel those green potatoes folks; it keeps you from getting peeler-sized holes in your screen doors.

And while you're at it, get a grip. Other than poisoning yourself, an unpeeled potato isn't the end of the world. And you'll be looking at that hole in the door for a good, long time.

_____________

In other news, I'm knitting, I'm applying for jobs, I'm grading, I'm entertaining, I'm being a rock star three times in three weeks, I'm booking next year's gigs, I'm cleaning house, and generally running about like a crazy person.

No comments: