Saturday, August 23, 2008

Self Loathing

Dear Colleagues:

  • If you are relentlessly perky during teacher training, I will hate you.
  • If you force me to do any kind of "team building" or "break out session," I will hate you.
  • If you display all the technical facilities of my grandmother, I will hate you.
  • If you utter mixed metaphors during teacher training (like "having too many coals in the fire"), I will hate you.
  • If you nitpick during the question and answer session, I will hate you.
  • If you ask more than one question, or your hand shoots up like an eager six-year-old, I will hate you.
  • If you fill out your name tag with cutesy handwriting, I will hate you.
  • If you talk to one another so that I can't hear the speaker drone on about "learning outcomes," I will hate you.
  • If you extol the virtues of yourself, your department, your program, your lab (instead of letting others do it for you), I will hate you.
  • If you extol the virtues of last year's textbook (instead of the one we're required to use), I will hate you.

It's too late for this year, of course, but if you could just keep this in mind for next year, I'd really appreciate it.

--kisses--

7-letter Deborah

1 comment:

Suzy Rust said...

Boy oh boy, you make me remember why I didn't go into teaching. The few days I spent as substitute TA while considering the profession made me realize the bureaucratic trivial drivel would drive any sane person insane. Good thing you knit!