Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Ten on Tuesday: 10 Favorite Sandwiches

I'm so glad the Ten on Tuesdays have been all about food of late. I always have something to say about food.

Ten Favorite Sandwiches: I'm not actually much of a sandwich eater. I'm more likely to eat lunch meat with cheese and hold the bread, even since childhood. I was hard pressed to come up with ten, but one forges onward:

  1. Subway's 6" Veggie: I get it without cheese and on whole wheat when I'm feeling virtuous. I load it with briny stuff (banana peppers, tomatoes, vinegar, salt & pepper, herb mix). It's essentially just a lettuce sandwich, but I don't care.
  2. Bahn Mi:  I could eat a bahn mi twice a day every single day and still wake up in the night wanting more. Actually, I'd probably wake up in the middle of the night because I have the bad habit of adding extra fish sauce to my bahn mi.
  3. Egg White Delight McMuffin: I cheered when McDonald's created these. They actually don't taste that great, but I still seem to eat them on a regular basis. There's the added benefit of feeling somewhat healthy when I eat them.
  4. Fried Egg with Ketchup: Apparently some people eat their fried egg sandwiches with mayonnaise. I choose not to associate myself with such cretins.
  5. Peanut Butter and Bacon: I've been eating these since childhood and would rather have one of these than a BLT any day. I don't know if it was just something my family ate, but it's a great flavor combination.
  6. Lebanon Bologna: Lebanon bologna is a Pennsylvania lunch meat, a sort of vinegary salami, that I used to splurge and mail order. The Boar's Head brand now available here isn't as good as the real stuff, but it'll do.
  7. Grilled Pimento Cheese on Pumpernickel: I began ordering these in college at a local restaurant and now make them whenever I get a chance or excuse. Add a slice of ripe tomato and try not to let the hot cheese burn your chin as it squeezes out of the toasted bread.
  8. Watercress: Peppery and delicious and great on whole wheat.
  9. Cucumber: Slather some extra-thin Pepperidge Farm white bread with softened butter, run the cucumber through a mandoline, raise your pinkie finger, and dig in.
  10. Soft-shelled crab: My all-time favorite sandwich. Squishy white bread, plenty of mayonnaise, and what looks like a breaded, deep-fried spider. What's not to love?

No comments: