Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Getting It in Gear

Last night's post, and the urge to be somewhat industrious during my six-hour gap between classes, had me considering knitting in my office and motivated me to get the pattern and yarn for the ghostie socks together.

While upstairs, I found another WIP (the cuff of a sock) to add to the list. Sigh.

I don't have a photograph of the ghostie socks because I've somehow misplaced my camera cord. Sigh.

I remembered to bring the pattern down this morning, but when I went to leave for work, I couldn't find it. I trekked back upstairs. Not there. I checked the recycling bin, even flipping through the magazines, checked the stack of torn-out magazine recipes, my book bag, my purse, my knitting bag, the pile of crapola by my computer. Not there, not there, not . . . You get the point.

So I checked them all again. Nope. And now I'm running late for work.

Just as I was about to look for a third time, I spotted a corner of white peeking out from underneath Yma Sumac, the cat. She needs to lose weight if she can cover up an 8.5" by 5.5" stack of paper. Sigh.

I've already lost today's to-do list, jotted down while my students were doing some in-class writing. I'm pretty sure I accidentally recycled it when I was going through some papers. We have an office recycling bin, so to find my list, I'd have to stand in the hallway and launch myself into the bin. With this morning's luck, I'd probably find it underneath the cat when I get home. Sigh.

Plus, I wore my interview suit to work today. Might as well get some use out of it, right? When I take off the jacket, my new-to-me sleeveless top torques to the left, revealing quite a bit of bra, a fact I didn't realize until I went into the staff restroom. And not to reveal too much (although half the department has now seen quite a bit), the bra isn't exactly a solid color. Sigh.

____________
Grammar* tip of the day (which I, of course, forgot to include the first go-round. sigh): If you're not sure how to pronounce a word ("toile" perhaps), my favorite site is Dictionary.com because they have a pronunciation button where you can hear the word said aloud. For those of us who are voracious readers but live like hermits, having a computer voice say a word aloud is really helpful.

____________
*Technically not grammar, but you get the point.

No comments: