Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Mardi Gras Swap (Outgoing and Incoming)

The Odd Ducks group on Ravelry did a Mardi Gras swap this year, so I folded the Mardi Gras Knitters group swap into that one, a round robin this time.

My partner was Pinksonia in New Orleans. Her Mardi Gras wishes were fairly straightforward, so it was very easy to make up a package for her. I went with the theme "Happy Mardi Gras! It's time to ... "

  • To costume: A feather boa; a Mardi Gras feather barrette; a pair of Mardi Gras sunglasses, and a beaded bracelet made by my friend Matthew of the Unceasing Fabulosity.
  • To consume: I knitted a beer coozie necklace (which she had specifically wished for) and tossed in some Mardi Gras napkins and cups.
  • To festoon: tons of decorations, doubloons, streamers, etc.
  • To keep her strength up: sour candies and Billy Goat chips (for a taste of local).
  • To Relax: She said she didn't like variegated yarn (what???) so Rachel custom weighed three skeins of her worsted (one in each of the Mardi Gras colors) in the steampunk colorways. I also tossed in some of Suzanne's stitch markers.
  • To try something new: A hairpin lace loom and instructions.
  • To carry beads: I took some leftovers from costuming and designed a project bag with a fleur de lis.
  • I made both sides different.
  • And I gave it a fun lining.
  • To pamper those tired tootsies: A foot soak and pedicure kit (something she had also specifically wished for)
  • I also tossed in 2 of my favorite Mardi Gras recipes and a gorgeous postcard of a Mardi Gras indian.

Incoming:

My partner ended up being Criquette of the Mardi Gras Knitters group. Yeah! I like Odd Ducks, but I don't feel like I really get to know my partners the way I do with other swappers.

  • She wrapped everything beautifully.
  • Then I ripped it all open
  • Bling and music. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this giant king cake bead. I have barely taken it off.
  • Lots of food
  • Knitterly goodies
I have big plans for that yarn, let me tell you. It was an awesome swap and I can't wait until next Mardi Gras.

No comments: