Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Broke as a Joke

Our school neglects to pay us in the month of January, since in their opinion we're not actually working. In other words, I haven't been paid since mid-December. At the end of December, I also had to shell out a thousand bucks in property taxes. My new teaching schedule meant a change (and cut) in my retail hours, and factor in a snow day or two which cut them even more.

We're okay, but have been stretched seriously thin.

To make it through, I invested in a five-pound bag of cornmeal and have cooked it about every which way to Sunday.

  • sweet cornbread
  • unsweet cornbread
  • chopped up cornbread in milk
  • hot cornmeal mush in milk
  • fried cornmeal mush
  • polenta*
  • spoon bread
  • chess pie

Payday is Friday; we'll be fine.

But lordy, am I tired of cornmeal!

_____________________

*I am proudest of the polenta: I fried the mush, then took some tomato sauce I'd made at the end of the summer out of the freezer, added a few tablespoons of instant tapioca to thicken it, and grilled it. All told, it probably cost just a few pennies, but was all goor-met and shit.

1 comment:

Viv said...

I got paid Dec 17 and then not again till Jan 28th. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH if you add in ffod allergies ( I miss corn) food is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Why does the ed system onle pay once a month??? Can there be a petition to be paid every two weeks please???