Monday, January 26, 2009

Ennui

Yesterday, I cast on for three separate knitted items.

For some people, casting on for three items in one day would seem like a sign of mental instability. For me, it's a sign that my ennui is gone.

The past few weeks have been tough, and it's been hard for me to put my finger on why. I still don't know why. I just knew that something was off. I worked, a bit. I knitted, a bit. I watched movies, a bit. But really, other than a week of visiting my sister, I really don't remember much of the past month.

I haven't been unhappy, exactly. Just "off."

Something inexplicably shifted on Saturday. I woke up my happy self again. I was excited about work, teaching, knitting, cooking, all the things that make me who I am.

On Sunday, I cast on for Matthew's Handcharmers, so he'll have them in time for Mardi Gras.


Then to take a break from the difficult yarn, I cast on for a Mardi Gras muff for myself.


Then, because the muff was upstairs and I was downstairs, I cast on for the Ruffled Roses Scarf.

Each of these projects is making me very, very happy in its own way. I figure, with three happiness-inducing projects, I should be pretty good to make it through the coming winter storms.

No comments: