Thursday, January 10, 2008

ISO

As usual when I have a lot of work to do and am nearing the end of one knitting project (I'm 1/4 into the second sock), I begin to dream of my next.

The weird thing is that I'm fancying a shawl, which is completely bizarre because I am not a shawl person. I've been a scarf person for about 25 years now, but do not wear shawls. Ever.

I will wear scarves of great breadth and length, such that the uninformed might think they were shawls. Still, these are scarves. Big scarves, but scarves. Definitely rectangular.

The circle and the triangle are not for me.

Yet in my head I'm seeing a shawl--not myself in a shawl, but a shawl on the wall. Something is calling to me: the concentric stacks of lace motifs, its potential symmetry, I don't know.


I'm open to suggestions.

4 comments:

Annie said...

Yes, a giant square one. There are a few in Folk Shawls and a few in the Knitter's shawl book (forget the name.) And there is a good Two Old Bags one that I can share, but I can't remember the name of that one either... I'm extremely helpful this morning, aren't I? I'll look it up...

wheelinsticks said...

Sure helpful for so early in the morn' :) I have a pattern for a Ciil War shawl. It's circular and very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Hey Deborah, I recently found a used copy of _Folk Shawls_ & I also splurged for _Victorian Lace._ Some time remind me to bring them over for your perusal. I could also bring them to knitting on Sunday, if you're coming. Lots of inspiration in both books!

(sorry, html tags are a bit complicated for me this morning.)

Silvana

7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

Annie & Silvana, I think I'm interested in the square shawl, or at least looking.

I'm not really up for the circular "civil war" shawl, b/c it's not really a civil war shawl--the designer made it for a friend who is a civil war reenactor. It's a pretty shawl though.