Friday, February 02, 2007

Topi Times Two

I've decided to make another Topi, this time for my friend Te. How could I not when he looks so great in it?

Some non-knitters vocally appreciate knitted items in just the right way such that I really love knitting for them. Te has always been like that. I even forgive him for giving away one of the scarves I knit him. He claimed it was snatched from him by a cousin.

It's like that for me with cooking. I love to cook, but am fairly choosy about whom I feed.

LB has professional cooking in his background, and we used to have our only big fights in the kitchen. I like to follow a recipe the first time, then experiment the next. It's an understatement to say that I don't respond well to comments like "That's not how I'd do it" or "My recipe starts with 20 dozen eggs." LB also has to process his reaction to food aloud, with about 45 minutes of "Needs more x," or "Next time, I'd add y." After about an hour, he'd say "That was really good," but by that time, I was about to stab him in the eye with my fork dispirited. He's somewhat broken that habit, but at the expence of much praise at all.

The other end of the spectrum would be an ex-bf, R. R enjoyed everything I cooked, wolfed it down, in fact, and always said "This is really good!" Trouble is, he would have eaten dog food if I'd fed it to him. He liked everything, but had no palate. I came to hate feeding him.

While they praise everything I make, my neighbors don't cook at all, so I feel their bar of excellence is fairly low.

My favorite person to cook for is LB's friend Marc. Marc cooks himself, never following a recipe and making elaborate, inventive multi-layered sauces and appetizers. But most importantly, Marc eats like a champ. He's a big guy, a general contractor, and can clear off a meat-and-three plate in about seven minutes. He eats with gusto, but has an educated palate. I really enjoy seeing him eating a dinner I've cooked.

So, I'll be making another Topi ... for Te.

No comments: