Monday, February 24, 2014

Panniers Done

I resolved this year to sew* four items. The panniers are done.

All in all, the project was fairly simple--except for the caning, which was a royal pain in the ass. I had to enlist LB for help as it really did seem to require a spare set of hands. Even together, we really struggled.

I had hoped by next ball season to have some eighteenth-century formal wear, with the panniers as a critical foundation garment. Equally critical is a proper set of stays, however, and I'm afraid I don't see that happening anytime soon. Maybe though. Perhaps.

Instead, I've ordered the Kannik's Corner chemise pattern for Regency wear. I do have Regency stays, but lacked the other foundation garments. The gowns are too low cut for any of my earlier or later chemises, so I have had to make do with a shelf cami. They didn't much wear drawers in the time period, so I didn't have to worry about those, but I need to figure out a petticoat as well. I'm open to pattern suggestions.
*English nerd tip of the day: If you have ever had a teacher tell you that you use too many "to be" verbs or passive voice, looking in your sentence for words ending in "-ment" or "-tion." They are nearly always verbs in disguise. My first sentence initially read "My resolution was to sew."

No comments: