You're cutting it pretty close to the deadline if you're just now looking for a free cowl pattern, but I humbly offer this one as my gift to you, gentle reader.
A one-skein project, it's quick enough to knit, but the broken rib pattern adds just enough to make it interesting. The broken rib pattern also makes the cowl completely reversible.
Bulky Broken Rib Cowl
Approximate Finished Size: 8” tall, 23” around
Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande: 1 skein
Needles: one set of US 13 16” circular needles
Yarn needle to weave in ends and Stitch MarkersGauge 3 sts per inch
CO: cast-on or cast-off
pm: place marker
· Using cable cast-on method, CO 60 stitches and join for working in the round, being careful not to twist your stitches. For a slightly narrower cowl, feel free to cast on 56 or 52 stitches.
· Round 1: pm, K3, P1 to end of round.
· Round 2: P1, [K1, P3] to 3 stitches before marker, K1, P2.
· Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 until work is approximately 8” tall, finishing on Round 2.
· Cast off using Round 1 stitch pattern.
Copyright 2010— You are welcome to make and sell cowls from this pattern, but please don’t copy my written pattern for commercial uses or post it elsewhere.
I'm about to hit the road for a few weeks, so may be offline for a bit. Merry Christmas!