Friday, November 07, 2008

Why Civil War Knitting Rocks

Last week, a customer came in the shop trying to knit a seed stitch leaf. She had to increase one stitch each row, then work in seed stitch. The trouble was, a traditional increase just wouldn't work. Knit front & back, pick up the bar between, or do a backward loop: all come after that first stitch, which immediately throws off the seed stitch.

Try it out if you don't believe me.

Eventually, I remembered that most civil war knitting patterns have the increase before the first stitch, by working a yarn over first. You hardly ever see that done anymore.

Saved the day.

Civil War knitting also rocks because I'm going camping this weekend, the first real cold snap we've had. The high tomorrow just might reach 41.

I've packed sleeping socks, a nightcap, undersleeves, a chemisette, a petticoat, a hood, a scarf, a shawl, and a sontag--all knitted.

I may not be able to move, but I'll be warm.

No comments: