Thursday, October 23, 2008

Consider the Egg

As a child, I went through a loooooong phase where I would only eat fried eggs for breakfast. No cereal. Certainly no oatmeal. Fried eggs only, breakfast after breakfast. For lunch, I wanted a fried egg sandwich.

In addition, they had to be fried just so. Absolutely no hardness to the yolk and absolutely no runny white, criteria I now know to be mutually exclusive. I still remember my poor mother's despair.

As an adult, in a karmic turn, I find that I'm somewhat allergic to eggs. I never eat them on days I have to travel and generally can only eat one egg.

I have, however, discovered the joy of the soft-boiled egg. I love their little cups, lopping off the shell with an egg topper, dipping in the toast sticks, the demitasse spoon, and best of all, the egg cover. There's nothing more wretched than a cold soft-boiled egg.

I try to foster the love of soft-boiled eggs whenever I can, not by foisting them on the unsuspecting, but by rewarding those who love them. So, when I heard that my boss liked soft-boiled eggs, I knitted her these:




Now for an egg meme.

Favorite breakfast egg dishes: Eggs in hell, soft-boiled eggs, eggs benedict

Favorite dinner egg dishes: quiche, tortilla espanola,

Favorite egg desserts: any kind of custard--sabayon, flan, trifle

Egg seasoning of choice: with Old Bay Seasoning, the perfect condiment, there is no need for anything else. Now and then, some hot sauce.

Favorite omelet filling: spinach, swiss cheese, mushrooms, crab

What do you put in your egg salad: never eat it, blech

What do you put in your deviled eggs (or stuffed eggs if you're Southern): curry powder, a sweet gherkin, mayo, a bit of mustard

How do you like your fried egg: over easy

Grease of choice: bacon

What do you put on your fried egg sandwich: ketchup, of course.

Would you use raw eggs in nog, caesar salad, etc.: absolutely!

What sort of egg accoutrements do you own: a Tupperware deviled egg carrier, an egg scale, a trifle dish, Portmierion egg cups, vintage egg covers, an soft-boiled egg topper

The rules:

  1. Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
  2. List 5 random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
  3. Let each person know that they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

I tag Carrie, RMS, PieKnits, Peggy, and Suzy and anyone else who is inspired. Feel free to add questions as well.

2 comments:

Suzy Rust said...

That was fun!

Peggy said...

Eggs + travel = Deborah puking all over the side of Nanny's Pontiac. Ah, those were the days.