Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Another Civil War Sweater

Yesterday, in the course of spending money like drunk sailors, we picked up a remaindered book of Matthew Brady photographs. This morning, in the course of work avoidance, I noticed this photo of the Amory Square Hospital in Washington, D.C.:


This guy intrigues me:

I think that's a knitted sweater. I also think he's a double amputee.
The former is a bit hard to judge. I've never seen a period fabric with that look, although it would be easy enough with knitting. The lapels puzzle me a bit, although I've seen shawl-collared sweaters.

He seems to have recovered from his physical wounds, but he's got a tough road ahead of him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm...I wonder if you could find this image on the Library of Congress website? They always have these huge resolution images. I hope it's a knitted sweater! :)

7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

It's not there; I looked. They do have one of the right side of the image, but the left was cropped out.