Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Leap Year #1

Leap Year Day is just around the corner, so I thought I would share one of my two leap year postcards that combine knitting and leap year. I actually own about three hundred (yep!) leap year postcards and have photocopies of about three hundred more, but I've only ever seen two that combine knitting and leap year.

If I were smart, I'd write some sort of scholarly essay on why I think that is. While we wait for me to get smart, here's card #1.

One of the leap year traditions was that women could propose marriage during leap years, to the delight of spinsters and to the horror of committed bachelors everywhere. Giving the stereotype of the knitting old maid, I was really surprised to only find one image of a knitting spinster in my entire collection, but here she is:


The prolific artist Clare Victor Dwiggins did this series of embossed Leap Year postcards, signing them all "Dwig." This is part of a ten-card set published by the Samuel Gabriel postcard company in 1912.

No comments: