Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oscars!

The Academy Awards are one of my reasons for living. The one year I accidentally booked a gig, I showed up in an evening gown and with a television set.

I am deliberately blocking the writer's strike out of my mind until the end of this post.* The thought that the ceremony might be cancelled makes my stomach hurt, and I refuse to think about it.

You can find the complete list of nominees here (the printable ballot is still from 2007 though).

Here are the ones on DVD with release dates that fall before Oscar night:
  • 3:10 to Yuma
  • Across the Universe (2/5)
  • American Gangster (2/19)
  • The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2/5)
  • Away from Her
  • The Bourne Ultimatum
  • Eastern Promises
  • Elizabeth: The Golden age (2/5)
  • Gone Baby Gone (2/12)
  • In the Valley of Elah (2/19)
  • Michael Clayton (2/19)
  • No End in Sight
  • Norbit
  • Once
  • Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
  • Ratatouille
  • Sicko
  • Surf's Up
  • Transformers
  • La Vie en Rose
These are apparently still in the theaters:
  • Atonement
  • August Rush
  • Charlie Wilson's War
  • The Counterfeiters
  • The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
  • Enchanted
  • The Golden Compass
  • I'm Not There
  • Into the Wild
  • Juno
  • Katyn
  • The Kite Runner
  • Lars and the Real Girl
  • Mongol
  • No Country for Old Men
  • Persepolis
  • The Savages
  • Sweeney Todd
  • Taxi to the Dark Side
  • There Will Be Blood
I couldn't find info on the following, but I'll be looking on YouTube & Google Videos and will have updates:
  • 12 (foreign lang.)
  • At Night (live action short)
  • Beaufort (foreign lang.)
  • La Corona (doc. short)
  • Freeheld (doc. short)
  • I Met the Walrus (animated short)
  • Madame Tutli-Putli (animated short)
  • Le Mozart des Pickpockets (live action short)
  • My Love (animated short)
  • Peter & the Wolf (animated short)
  • Salim Baba (doc. short)
  • Sari's Mother (doc. short)
  • Il Supplente (live action short)
  • Tanghi Argentini (live action short)
  • The Tonto Woman (live action short)
  • War/Dance (doc.)
Apparently there is a 500 limit to the Netflix queue, dammit. I'll be doing a lot of knitting and movie watching over the next few weeks.
_____________
*They need to fix this thing and the writer's deserve to make money off of the internet.

No comments: