Friday, May 18, 2007

Help Desk

I had a professor who was barely computer literate. He could type on a keyboard, but that was about it. I am, however, the Queen of Word Perfect. When his book was accepted for publication, I got a summer assitantship converting his files into camera-ready art. It was a relatively cushy job, albeit a bit hard on the hands. With the help of a few macros, we converted the text fairly quickly.

The problem was that for months afterwards, he kept calling me at home for help formatting his work. I don't have a computer at home, so I would have to mentally recall each pull-down menu and walk him through the process. The information transfer was often unsuccessfull, so I'd have to make a special trip in to his office. And at this point, I wasn't getting paid either.

Lately, I've been doing the same with knitting, and somehow I don't mind as much.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I'll have to admit that I would rather help someone with knitting than help them with their computer, even though sometimes the computer help pays better.

My giving unpaid computer help is pretty much reserved for helping my husband & that's about it.