Monday, November 27, 2006

I'm a Little Girl

We spent Thanksgiving in Memphis with my husband's family. All in all, it was very nice, but, having had a bit of anxiety about four days of family closeness in a strange town, I packed an inordinate amount of knitting. I had a project for every contingency.

In the bag was some pink malabrigo left over from some wrist warmers a friend commissioned. I knew there was enough for a hat and maybe a square for Kaitlyn, so I began the hat first. Malabrigo is a gorgeous, kettle-dyed, incredibly soft, unplied merino--really yummy.

My niece, Olivia, had come over several times as I was working on other projects to see what I was doing. When she saw the pink wool, she asked what I was making and who I was making it for. Not wanting to explain cancer and chemo to a four-year-old, I said, "I'm making a hat for a little girl."

"I'm a little girl," she said, and, really, how could I argue with that?

No comments: